Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Being a Good Wife

Being a wife is something that I always dreamed of. Of course most girls dream of it from the time they are young. It's weird though how it seems that you're a carefree kid one day and then the next day you're married with a husband. I've been honored enough to be a wife for almost a year and a half now. I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Though I love being married and love being a wife, it is difficult at times. It's hard for me to believe people, including Josh, when they tell me that I'm doing an amazing job. I know deep down inside that I'm trying my best, but I also think that there's so much more that I can be doing for my husband and so many things that I can be doing better at. I guess part of the reason I don't believe people is because of my stubbornness - which isn't a good thing. I need to start listening to them when they tell me I'm doing great, especially listening to my husband when he tells me that I'm doing a wonderful job.

Being married is definitely fun though. It's a never ending adventure and you never know what each day will bring. It's spending each day with your best friend and waking up next to them each morning. It's a giant learning and growing process, one which never stops. It's definitely cool to see how much you learn through marriage. As a couple we've already learned a lot since we got married. Some of these things include how to better communicate with each other (which we're continually learning), what each other wants and needs, how to serve each other better, and so much more. God's continually teaching us new things and showing us how to better love and serve one another. Marriage does require work, but it's definitely fun work and it's well worth it.

Anyways, back to the whole being a wife thing. I guess before I got married I never realized all of the things that a wife does and all of the things that a husband does. It always seems so "easy" on movies and you just lounge around with the love of your life without a care in the world. Maybe I'm just naive or maybe I'm just not observant, but it's taken me awhile to realize these things. Now I know that wives clean the house, do the dishes, do the laundry, pay the bills, cook, support their husbands in every way possible, help their husbands in every way and ensure his needs are met, and so much more. On the other hand husbands do a whole lot too. They go to work and work hard every day, help clean around the house, help with dishes and laundry, support their wives and ensure that her needs are met, and so much more. These are just how things are done around our house (as far as who does what), and to think that there's not even kids added into the mix yet is a crazy thought.

Now I don't want this to sound like a negative post or sound like I don't like being a wife or doing the things I need to do around the house. I was just thinking about how we often times don't realize what it means to be "all grown up" and to have the responsibility of being married and taking care of a home. So I wrote about it. I surely love being married and love serving my husband and doing everything for him! I just want to make sure that I'm always being a good wife for him and always finding ways that I can be even better. Being a wife is an honor and I love each second of it - even if it does require work!

- Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment